The Brentford Striker, Ivan Toney, who had been in contention for England’s World Cup squad, last week admitted he was assisting the FA with its investigation into the historic breaking of gambling rules.
The alleged breaches stretch from the year 2017, when the 26-year-old, was on Newcastle’s books, to 2021, after he had joined Brentford from Peterborough.
In a statement, the FA said: “Ivan Toney has been charged with misconduct about alleged breaches of the FA’s betting rules.
“It is alleged that the Brentford FC forward breached FA rule E8 232 times between February 25, 2017, and January 23, 2021.”
The Said rules ban players from betting on any football match, even games in which they are not involved.
Recall Newcastle right-back Kieran Trippier was banned for 10 weeks by the FA in December 2020 for giving out information for others to bet on his transfer from Tottenham to Atletico Madrid.
“The club has been in discussion with Ivan and his legal representatives about this matter and those conversations will continue privately,” Brentford said in a statement.
“We will make no further comment until the matter has been completed.”
When news of the FA probe went viral on November 6, Toney wrote on his social media: “I’m aware of a story about me in a national newspaper today.
“I have been assisting the Football Association with their inquiries and will not be making any comment until the such investigation has reached its conclusion.”